instantreality forum
news: Welcome to the instantreality forums!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 17, 2018, 08:25:36 am

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Collision with deformed elevationGrid  (Read 3353 times)
heinch

View Profile
« on: April 26, 2010, 02:04:25 pm »

Hello,
at first: sorry for my bad english, but its not my native language Wink

My Problem is a little bit difficult. I want to realize a Collision between a plane (constructed by elevationGrid) and a sphere.
The elevationGrid can be deformed by another Object. So the Plane gets a new facing. (This is realized with the "height" of the elevation Grid)
For a better association: it works like a press-maschine.

Now the Problem: if the elevationGrid ist undeformed the Collision works perfect.
But if i deformed it, the collision would not identificate at the new facing - still by the old Plane.

Do anybody nows an answer?
Or can I realize this project better with an indexedFace Set. And if yes...How?

I hope you can understand me Smiley
Thanks. Christoph
Sebastian Wagner

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 02:38:57 pm »

Hey Christoph,

I'm afraid this won't work at the moment. For performance reasons Instant Reality performs collision detection on static mesh data. If you deform it we would have to re-build the acceleration structure used to calculate collisions in real-time. Instead we re-use the data we generate for the first collision query.

Since this problem has now occured I will try to think about a solution. For now collision detection on non-static meshes is not supported.

Greetings,
Sebastian
TOA

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 01:23:32 pm »

Hello, I see that this topic is almost two years old now. Does anybody know if things developed further in the mean time?

At Fraunhofer IWU Chemnitz we are interested in collision detection on non-static meshes and we really would like to use instantreality for this purpose.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: