instantreality forum
news: Welcome to the instantreality forums!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 21, 2018, 01:32:37 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: InstantPlugin  (Read 16642 times)
robertlipman

View Profile
« on: August 07, 2009, 10:31:35 pm »

Hi,

I saw something on the InstantReality web page about an InstantPlugin which lets you run InstantPlayer in a web browser.

Is this available for download?

Thanks,

Bob Lipman
http://cic.nist.gov/vrml/vbdetect.html
yjung
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 03:13:29 pm »

Hi,

if you really need it, it's in the Instant Player/bin directory. But I don't advise to use it, because e.g. the Firefox Plugin (npirplay.dll) requires that all IR DLLs can be found in your PATH and that you copy the plugin dll into the Mozilla Firefox/plugins directory yourself. Furthermore, data exchange is not yet fully supported and so on...

Bye
Yvonne
mzoellner

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 04:08:15 pm »

The Plugin works for testing purposes and mockups quite well. It's not intended to be used in production environments or projects. Unfortunately it crashes when you leave the web page or unload it.

Here is a description how to set the paths:

Install the latest InstantPlayer daily build and locate the file npirplay.dll in
C:\Program Files\Instant Player\bin

Copy npirplay.dll into
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins

Add this variable set to "User variables"
Control Panel / System Properties / Advanced / Environment Variables
PM_PLUGIN_PATH C:\Program Files\Instant Player\lib

Add the following to the existing Path variable:
C:\Program Files\Instant Player\bin;C:\Program Files\Instant Player\lib

Here is how to include it in your HTML page:
<embed id='x3d' type='model/vrml' src='yourfile.x3d' width='500px' height='500px'>

You have to update npirplay.dll after you installed a new InstantPlayer daily build.
Thies-Pfeiffer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2009, 07:15:14 pm »

Hi,

we have successfully managed to use the plugin in Firefox for static X3D files and vrml files according to this description. However, we have problems when including java classes (using multiple classes). Perphaps you also have useful hints on that?

If we launch the browser in the directory where the files are located, everything wents fine, so it seems it is only a problem of the classpath, not of the X3D/Java files themselves.

If we put, however, the files on a webserver, or launch the browser via the system menu and then load the x3d files, nothing happens. It seems as if the class files are not found then.

Any ideas?

Best regards
Thies
mzoellner

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2009, 10:02:07 am »

One solution is setting the classpath via InstantPlayer's ContextSetup:

Code:
<ContextSetup javaClassPath='/myAbsolutePath/library.jar:/myAbsolutePath/class.class' />

Please remember: Windows separates with ; and Mac / Linux with :

The ContextSetup is defined on the same level as Scene and Engine:
Code:
<X3D>
     <ContextSetup />
     <Scene />
</X3D>
Thies-Pfeiffer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2009, 11:07:24 am »

Hi,

thank you very much for this information. The classPath seems to be correctly set now, checked by the WebInterface. However, still no java classes are instantiated.

How do I reference the classes in the x3d file? Normally we use local paths relative to the x3d file in the Script tag. For the web, we tried this and also absolute paths with http. No success.

For the classPath we also tried relative and absolute paths as well as providing a jar file. Also no success.

Is there a way to get to the console when using the plugin? Perhaps the debug messages would be helpfull!?

Thanks,
Thies
mzoellner

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 10:42:18 am »

To all interested in using X3D in the browser. You should try X3DOM instead which runs native in WebGL enabled browsers:
http://www.x3dom.org
robertlipman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 04:42:05 pm »

I recently installed the Instant Reality Framework and could not find the InstantPlugin for either IE or Firefox.  Where is it?  If you're showing it on your web page, I should be able to download it and install it.
avg

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 12:07:55 pm »

I recently installed the Instant Reality Framework and could not find the InstantPlugin for either IE or Firefox.  Where is it?  If you're showing it on your web page, I should be able to download it and install it.

Hi,
Robert Lipman has right - the plugin DLLs are not anymore in the InstantReality\bin directory. To put it in another way: you should not advertise it (e.g. in your SigGraph2010-related news recently) if you are not going to offer it!

Kind regards
drevensek

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 03:32:19 pm »

Hi,
the Plugin for IExplorer should be named InstantPluginATX.ocx and is located inside the bin directory. The Netscape Plugin is currently not at the installer due to some issues. But we will put it back in soon. Sorry for the inconvenience.
avg

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 05:36:32 pm »

Thank you for the quick reply!

When I start it via VrmlPad, it shows empty screen only; the same if I open a modell with iexplore (after ascing me to confirm the use of an "activeX"-plugin).
Trying to register it with regsvr32 causes an error (see attachment). How am I supposed to install and use it?

Greetings,

navg
tfranke
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2010, 10:55:27 am »

Hello avg,

there indeed seems to be a problem with the plugin on some installations. We're looking into it right now and I'll come back to you as soon as we have a working solution.

Although the plugin is registered at installation time, you can re-register it with regsvr32. The error you received is probably due to a permission problem: start up a console by right-clicking it and selecting "Run as Administrator" and then try to register it again.

Also, could you please provide the contents of the log file? Simply type in  %appdata%\InstantReality\InstantPluginATXLog.txt in the address bar of the Explorer, thanks.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 10:57:33 am by tfranke » Logged
avg

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2010, 01:11:13 pm »

Hi there,

of cource I tried the registration as administrator, that was not the problem.
I have no "InstantReality"-directory under my %appdata%. Working under windows 7, but a minute ago installed the daily build from September 29th on a XP machine. Gave to say the following:
 a) the installation freeses on 100% (s. attached picture)
 b) without finisched installation the a window is opened for the plugin, but it shows only the frabe and the background windows (even can "move" the bachground within the frame)
 c) no "InstantReality"-directory under %appdata% arises

Can I produce the log-file in another way?

Greetings,
navg
tfranke
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2010, 10:33:26 am »

Hey avg,

which version of Internet Explorer are you using? The installation might freeze because regsvr32 stopped doing anything while trying to register the plugin.

As long as the Instant Player hasn't been started once there will be no configuration directory under %appdata%.
avg

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2010, 01:30:25 pm »

Hi,

on my XP-notebook is installed InternetExplorer 7.0.5730.11. I am using it only when I must! Otherwise I use FireFox 3.6.10.
Btw., since the freese I cannot install any other software, because I am getting the message, that an IR-Framework installation is pending (s. attached snapshot)! This is very unpleasant.
On my W7 machine is installed IE 8.0.7600.16385. As I mentioned earlier, on both machines InstantPlugin is having problems.

Greetings,
navg
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: