instantreality forum
news: Welcome to the instantreality forums!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 17, 2018, 08:24:00 am

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Automatic start of instantplayer with weblink & including file location on Mac?  (Read 1333 times)
UweH

View Profile
« on: November 24, 2014, 03:01:16 pm »

Hi,

I am a new user of InstantPlayer and happy to have found a good VRLM player for the Mac.
With a colleague we are experimenting how to make web access to existing 3d models as easy as possible for non-tech users.
So far he has the image files and the .wrl file on his server. I open the Player and copy/paste a link to his file in : File - Open Location. That works  Cheesy
Is it possible for him to have a link on his website that would on double-click automatically open InstantPlayer on my Mac and open the respective .wrl file at the same time?
Thanks for your help, Uwe
tfranke
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 11:14:09 am »

Hi Uwe,

that depends a bit on your settings and your browser I guess. If you file type associations are correct, your browser should theoretically do that. But on that note, you may want to check out X3DOM if you really want to embed 3D content into the web.

http://www.x3dom.org/

You need to convert your old WRL file to the new X3D syntax and can then directly embed that 3D content into your webpage, without the need of an external player such as Instant Player. If you need a quick way to convert an old VRML file to X3D go here:

http://doc.instantreality.org/tools/x3d_encoding_converter/

Cheers
UweH

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 05:05:49 pm »

Thanks for your help! I will look into X3DOM as well  Smiley

Cheers,
Uwe
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: