instantreality forum
news: Welcome to the instantreality forums!

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
January 19, 2018, 06:02:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: emagin Visor 800  (Read 10765 times)
torsten

View Profile
« on: October 28, 2008, 04:22:45 pm »

Hi,

we have 3 emagin visor HMDs at Hochschule Darmstadt, were I teach X3D with instantreality. Is there any support for it's motion tracker? I actually use their mouse emulation, but hope to get better results in directly reading it's sensors (gyro, innertial and compass).

@community: Has anybody worked with the emagin HMD and instant reality? Any info to share?

@ir-developers: Is there a device driver for instant reality device manager? If, so, could I get it for teaching purposes? Any docu ;-) ?

Cheers,

Torsten
jbehr
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 11:46:50 am »

Hi Torsten,

there is already code in our IO-subsystem to read data from a emagin Visor 800 but
the code is not in the standard builds since there where some driver conflicts
we could not easily solve. I'll try to talk to PD and see if we can get it in somehow.

best regards
johannes
torsten

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 01:18:17 pm »

Johannes & Patrick,

Many thanks for your quick reply. I am really keen to produce some cool immersive (headtracked, stereo that is) demos with instantreality.

I am looking forward to your answer then.

Torsten
torsten

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 08:15:18 pm »

Hi,

I am wresteling with stereo settings for instantplayer and my emagin visors.

I get active stereo in the nvidia test picture but not with instantplayer. I am using the unmodified activeStereo demo from the tutorial pages. It renders the tie fighter, but in a window. It does not switch to full screen mode nor does invoke stereo rendering. No errors are reported in the log.

My configuration:

Nvidia Quadro FX 1500, Forceware and stereo drivers 91.31 (I have tried others, too). XP newest updates (besides the old nvidia drivers). Instant player beta-5 standard download and daily build from yesterday.

I would really appreciate quick help on this: I want to present on Wednesday  Roll Eyes

Thanks,

Torsten

pdaehne
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 02:54:45 pm »

Hello Torsten,

just to make the information from our telephone call public on this forum:

• You need a graphics board that supports OpenGL QuadBuffer stereo. E.g. a Nvidia Quadro. Consumer/gamer graphics boards usually to not support QuadBuffer stereo. There are hacked drivers for Nvidia GeForce boards which transform them into a Quadro, but I cannot give any instructions here.
  • Use the correct drivers. Do not use the "GeForce 3D Stereo Driver" for Nvidia consumer cards - these do not provide quadbuffer stereo!
  • There is a small test program you can use to test stereo graphics (on windows). You can download it from http://www.reald-corporate.com/scientific/developer_tools.asp (redblue.exe). It shows a red box on one eye and a blue box on the other eye. When this program does not work, something is wrong with your configuration.

Bye,

Patrick
torsten

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 03:47:34 pm »

Hi Patrick,

I have tried the redblue.exe and also a 3d video player. Both run well with quad buffer stereo. I can see the images flickering on the screen and see 3D in my emagin visor. The led on the visor hardware switches from orange color (mono) to green (stereo).

When I start instantplayer with activeStereo.wrl I get a non flickering monoscopic image. The led on the emagin switches to green indicating a time sequential signal but I have no parallax. Changing the eye separation did not help either.

I think, there is nothing wrong with my setup (stereo works with two other applications). This must be either a bug in the active stereo demo or in instantplayer itself.

Any help appreciated,

Torsten
pdaehne
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 04:20:56 pm »

Hello Torsten,

I've organized a quadro board (Quadro FX 1100) now (one of the old Heyewall cluster machines Smiley). There is Windows XP installed, Forceware 169.21, and the latest dailybuild of Instant Player (b10834 from 2008-11-21). When I open activeStereo.wrl, I get a flickering tie fighter, so quadbuffer stereo works with the latest dailybuild version of Instant Player and the example file from the tutorial. I had to activate stereo in the Nvidia control panel. RedBlue.exe works, too.

Bye,

Patrick

torsten

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 04:49:58 pm »

Patrick,

It works now!  Grin

I have downgraded the nVidia driver and downloaded the instantplayer version you recommended.

I appreciate your great efforts and your patience helping me with this.

Cheers,

Torsten
pdaehne
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 05:13:13 pm »

Great!  Grin

I've installed all Windows updates and the latest Nvidia driver (Forceware 169.96), and it's still working... Probably reinstallation of the driver fixed your problem.

Bye,

Patrick

torsten

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 10:38:53 pm »

Hi,

after, thanks to you, the stereo rendering is working nicely, I have to come back to my original issue in this post which is headtracking.

Could I somehow get a version of instantplayer supporting the emagin device?

The emagin is also capable of simulating a mouse. With another vr system I got a rough headtracking by querying the relative mouse movements and rotate the camera accordingly.

Can I do that in instantplayer? It is important to get the mouse movements even if the cursor is at the border of the screen and not moving any more (while the physical mouse does).

Thanks,

Torsten
pdaehne
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2008, 12:46:25 pm »

Hello Torsten,

the latest (Windows) dailybuild (build number b10847 from 2008-11-26) has support for Emagin devices. You can get it from our FTP server:

http://ftp://ftp.igd.fraunhofer.de/outgoing/irbuild/Win32-i686/

The corresponding code in your scene looks like this:

Code:
DEF emagin IOSensor
{
  type "eMagin"
  eventOut SFRotation Orientation
}

DEF vp Viewpoint {}

ROUTE emagin.Orientation TO vp.set_orientation

I do not have a working Emagin HMD here, so I would appreciate some feedback if it's actually working.

Bye,

Patrick

torsten

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2008, 08:28:43 pm »

Patrick,

many thanks for your quick reply.

I have tried the new instantreality version with my emagin display.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work. I have tried these variants:
- emagin software running or not,
- starting the device via your wrl file or using the device interface.

When I create the device usinng the device interface, I get the following error message:

Cannot open device - EMA_MOTION_DETECTOR_FAILURE

There was nothing in the log.

Any ideas how to proceed? I could come along and bring my emagin for tests.

Cheers,
Torsten
pdaehne
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2008, 12:07:50 pm »

• Is the USB cable connected? (Just to eliminate the obvious reasons Smiley)
  • Does the emagin software run? It must be running, i.e. there must be that ugly mafiosi icon in the system tray.
  • Did you enable the tracker? There is a checkbox on the "Motion Sensor" tab of the emagin configuration dialog.
  • Do not run any mouse emulation software etc. I do not remember anymore how mouse emulation actually worked, but it might get in conflict with our own software.

When this list does not help, the only remaining option is that you lend me one of your emagin devices.

Bye,

Patrick
torsten

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2008, 02:22:06 am »

Patrick,

>   * Is the USB cable connected? (Just to eliminate the obvious reasons Smiley)

Of course  Grin

>    * Does the emagin software run? It must be running, i.e. there must be that ugly mafiosi icon in the system tray.

As I wrote  Grin

>    * Did you enable the tracker? There is a checkbox on the "Motion Sensor" tab of the emagin configuration dialog.

Sure  Grin

>   * Do not run any mouse emulation software etc. I do not remember anymore how mouse emulation actually worked, but it might get in conflict with our own software.

That seems to be not an option. If you activate the checkbox  "Motion Sensor" the mouse emulation is active as well.

> When this list does not help, the only remaining option is that you lend me one of your emagin devices.

That's what we probably going to do  Wink

Torsten

torsten

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2008, 12:36:52 am »

Dear Patrick,

the emagin tracking is working now.

The problem was the ugly mafioso as you put it in one of your last replies.  Cool 

The emagin application must not run. You have to kill it with the task manager to get rid of it. That's anyway the way to deal with the mob, isn't it? Grin

Mille grazie,

Torsten

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: